Thursday, October 22, 2009

Will Running Kill Me?

I've wondered about this since I had a heart scare in 2006, when I was in the best running shape of my life. Is "obsessive" running bad for the heart? When I heard about deaths in Detroit last week, it rekindled the question in my mind.

The docs over at Science of Sport have a long post about it. Their conclusion:

"The reality is that people who die during exercise have some underlying, probably undetected condition that predisposes them to a cardiac event during exercise.
...
So in the light of the latest events, and until toxicology reports are in, deciding on the cause is premature. Agreeing that it's sad for all involved, but recognizing that it's not running that killed them, is the way to go!"


Run hard out there...

2 comments:

chris mcpeake said...

you got to die of something sometime best that its doing something you love.

degrandis said...

Dear Neil. I love frequent races from 5ks to the marathon.However im getting tired of LSD.I incorporate some crossfit endurance into my workouts without doing crossfit.I do bodyweight workouts and some stuff from ross enamait.I enjoy a long run once a week.Can you desribe your training philosophy?