Sunday, January 11, 2009

Biking to work

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving." -- Albert Einstein.

I've heard that the only time Einstein was photographed smiling was when he was on his bike. I don't know if that is true or not, but I know biking makes me happy.

One of my 2009 goals is to bike to work more. In fact, to meet my goal of 90+ days, I pretty much have to average 2 days per week (due to vacation, holidays, telecommuting, etc.). Eleven days into the year, I've only ridden once. It is supposed to be 27-degrees here in the morning, but I will be biking, and loving every minute of it.

One of the thrills I get from cycling to work are the comments from my co-workers who just don't believe it is possible. Sure, it ain't always easy, but like ultrarunning, sometimes the hardest days are the best.

We all have good excuses... I live too far away, It's too cold, I have to wear a suit, I'm an ultrarunner, not a biker...

They are (almost) all good excuses. But even a good excuse is just an excuse. Here are some sites to help you overcome your excuses for not biking to work. Check out the links and see if any of these help to change your mind. Just be sure to dress smart, put some lights on your bike, and wear a helmet.

BikeTraffic.org
US News and World Report article
CommuteByBike.com
Wired.com article on bike gadgets
BikeCommuteTips Blog
IceBike.org (you'll never say it is too cold again)
Google "Bicycle Commuting"

Ride your bike. It will make you a better runner and who knows, you might even smile more!

Run hard out there.

2 comments:

robison52 said...

How far do you bike to work? I'm considering on biking to work as it's only 8.1 miles one way, but I have so many fears and doubts...flat tire will make me late for work, bike being stolen when working, returning home from work by biking in the dark, etc. I'll check out those links you posted and hope it encourages me to start cycling to work.

Neal Jamison said...

Robison52: For me it is 10 miles each way. And it is normal to have doubts and fears. I leave very early on most of my biking days, so that if I do have a flat, it's no big deal. A benefit of that is getting to work early, and being able to leave early in the afternoon. Practice changing flats. I can do it in 10 minutes.

Invest in good lights. They are expensive, but a good set will last a long time and really help out there.

Check out the links. Then some weekend, give it a practice run. That will help build your confidence.

Go for it. You might find you really like it.