Monday, January 12, 2009

The Interval Challenge

(photo courtesy ShannonRowbury.com)

Today's workout comes from RossTraining.com, home of Ross Enamait. Ross has trained many athletes, including professional kickboxers, MMA fighters, and even track and field athletes. Middle distance Olympian, Shannon Rowbury (pictured above) has this to say about one of Ross' programs.
Most runners just focus on logging miles. I never feel more tired than when I finish one of your Minute Drills, but I have found that the core and upper body strength, as well as explosiveness, that it has helped me to develop has been instrumental at the end of races, allowing me to maintain form and kick rather than break down.
Ross' methods are what many would consider unorthodox. To quote the subtitle of one of his books, Ross "puts the work back in workout."

The Interval Challenge is a short workout that consists of 6 repeats of the following circuit:
There is no prescribed rest time. Basically, the goal is to complete that circuit 6 times as fast as possible, rest when you need it. Believe me, you will need it if your intensity is where it should be.

My interval buddies and I did this today at lunch. After a short warmup jog to the park, we started our stopwatches, and got started. It occurred to me about halfway through the squats that pacing would be key to even finishing this workout. At some point during the second set, I wondered if I would make it to 6. But I did. We even kicked in the run on the last set and it might have been the fastest circuit. Knowing the end was near helped.

For me, the difficulty in this one came from the squats and the high intensity of the whole workout. Maybe it was because I rode my bike to work today, maybe it was just the cold air, but my knees were barking a little on a few of the deeper squats. On top of that, my cardio system felt like I was running a fast 5k the whole time.

In the end, my time was 15 minutes, 52 seconds. I can't wait to do it again and see improvement. It is a great workout, and I encourage you all to give it a shot.

Run hard out there...

9 comments:

The Running Man Ray's Words said...

Good workout, this workout is similar to crossfit workouts. Just wanted you to know that I bought your book last night at the book store and have only read up to the Sophie Speidel section and I have to say so far its a good read and very inspiring. Peace brother.

Neal Jamison said...

Ray,

Yes, very much like a crossfit workout. Thanks for the comment about my book. I love to hear that it is inspiring people. Check the early archives of this blog for a follow up interview with Sophie. She is a great person, on and off the trails.

robison52 said...

New to crossfit workouts and thanks for showing a video of what a correct burpee and air squats should look. I can easily practice these two exercises during work breaks.

Jeffro said...

I spiced the interval challenge up a little by adding 3 pull ups before the burpees. I won't embarrass myself by telling you how long it took me to complete 6 rounds. Faster next time.

Nu-U Fitness Of San Antonio said...

I am gonna try this with my UR today! I bet he will like it. It might take us an hour to get through it but it will definately give him a huge challenge!

Neal Jamison said...

Meagan, let me know how it goes. Thx, Neal

eck said...

Neal, this work out really kicks butt! I did it with my treadmill and couldn't do six rounds on my first try. Did three and my legs felt like jello. Wow! I'm hooked. Thanks for sharing.

Neal Jamison said...

Eck, Great job. Any workout that leaves my legs feeling like jello is a keeper, no matter how many rounds I go. I really had to pace myself to get 6 the other day. I'm trying again tomorrow, if I can stay motivated.

With the treadmill, did you leave the belt running, and just (carefully) jump on and off? Or did it have to come up to speed each time?

eck said...

yeah, the treadmill thing is a little awkward. i had to start it from scratch each time. this work out is much better suited for outdoors. it's just too nasty outside lately for sprints. it really goes to show you how running alone neglects quite a few leg muscles. good stuff!