Saturday, February 7, 2009

Hurricane Training

I read in the March issue of Men's Health about trainer Martin Rooney. He has a book out targeted toward mixed martial artists, ultimate fighters, etc. called Training for Warriors. Now I'm no warrior, and the average ultrarunner is about 100k from Rooney's target audience. But, I like to challenge my body and workout hard. So after reading the article this morning over breakfast, I decided to incorporate what Rooney calls the Hurricane Workout into my morning run. The idea behind the workout is that you go from one exercise to the next with no rest. After 5 exercises, you rest 2 minutes, then do it again for a total of 3 sets.

Here's how my workout went:

Run to the park (3 miles)

Hurricane workout:
3 X
  • 1 min sprint
  • 1 min bench jumps
  • 1 min crunches
  • 1 min pushups
  • 1 min squats or lunges
  • rest 2 minutes

Jog home (3 miles)

Holy cow. The "Jog Home" was more of a walk/jog home. That's all I could do after getting hit by the hurricane.

I recognize that this type of workout is geared more for training fighters. Intense 5 minutes of work (e.g. a round in a fight), followed by 2 minutes of rest. I'm not training to be a fighter. I'm a long distance runner. Runners, especially ultrarunners, don't need that kind of fitness. Right?

I guess that depends on on what kind of ultrarunner you want to be.

Give this kind of workout a try sometime. You might like it.

Run hard out there...

3 comments:

David Ray said...

Runners will definitely benefit from that kind of training. The core work plus leg work pays off on the hills and trails. Good one.

Massi said...

I agree with the first commenter. However, I have a few things to point out from your workout. I understand that you'd like to train hard and that is great. However, one of the things that the Hurricane workout had in mind was to combine cardio with some core/hard exercises. The idea is to have the exercise you are training for in terms of endurance like running/bicycling/rowing/etc to bring your heart rate up or warm up, and then to a short sprint (15-20 s) to bring the heart rate above a set threshold (e.g. 120) and then to a couple of exercises in a row like the ones you did to allow the heart rate to go down below the threshold. The idea behind is to do those exercises at an already high heart rate level and to promote a sort of active recovery from the run/cycling/rowing, instead of just resting as some old training models suggest. I did not see that in your workout and I believe that that is why you could barely run at the end.

Also, if after the two exercises the heart rate is still above or below the the threshold you want to restart the run/bicycle/row tile you hit the threshold again and then do the print for 15-20 s.

You will see that your endurance and strength will improve greatly after several weeks of this.

This is my view.

Ciao.

Neal Jamison said...

Massi -- thanks for the comments and suggestions.