Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Today's workout -- no running

(photo taken from http://www.athleticadvisor.com)

Today's workout did not involve running at all, so only read on if you are interested in a good one. It really wiped me out and I just have to share it.


Working continuously for 15 minutes (that means no rest),
repeat the following circuit:
  • 5 push-ups
  • 10 squat jumps
  • 5 pull-ups (I used a pull-down machine)
  • 10 dumbbell snatches

I was sore from yesterday's hill sprint/burpee workout, so this one started off rough. Once I warmed up, however, it started to flow. Five minutes into it, I was sweating profusely wondering if I would make it through the whole 15 minutes. At 10 minutes I was in a zone, and 15 minutes was there before I knew it.

The exercises:

Push-ups: 5 reps seems low, but you are doing 5 reps about every minute for 15 minutes. It adds up.

Squat jumps: You squat down, and explode up so that your feet leave the ground. It starts to burn after a few sets.

Pull-ups (or pull-downs). I did not have a static pull-up bar available, so I did pull-downs at 120#. I don't have the strength yet to do that many reps/sets of much heavier.

Dumbbell snatches. If you don't know this one, you almost have to see it. Squat down with a dumbbell on the floor. Explode up with your legs as you raise the dumbbell over your head, arm extended. See it here, along with some other great lifts.

Snatches and jumps are very aerobic when done quickly. Especially the snatches because your heart is forced to pump blood to both your lower and upper extremities. That really gets the heart going fast.


And I thought a runner's high was good!

I felt so good after this one. I'll pay for it for a couple days, but exercises like this, especially when done with high intensity, carry over to running in so many ways. Since I've started working out like this my hill running has improved greatly, as has my overall strength. I hope to prove it in the upcoming Catawba Run Around.


Run hard out there...

1 comment:

David Ray said...

Good one. We did the squat jumps during boot camp on Tuesday. Those are beastly.

We always warm up with a half mile jog before starting. I try to do a few lunges just to get my legs thinking boot camp instead of running.